Amoxicillin is a penicillin-type antibiotic, meaning that it is made from the same type of mold as penicillin. It fights bacteria by inhibiting bacterial cell wall formation. This type of antibiotic is most effective against actively growing bacteria. We did numerous case studies which you can watch on our youtube channel or below.
Case Study #1
Case Study #2
Amoxicillin is commonly prescribed to treat many types of bacterial infections, such as sinusitis, bronchitis, gonorrhea, ear infections, as well as urinary tract infections. Dentists commonly prescribe it to prevent complications after dental or gum surgery for people with heart valve abnormalities.
Standard dosing of Amoxicllin for adults is 250 to 500 mg orally three times a day for 7 to 10 days or 500 to 875 mg orally twice a day.
Many people have severe hypersensitivity or anaphylactic reactions to oral penicillins. Make sure you tell your doctor if this is the case for you.
It is also common to experience Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea (CDAD) after taking antibiotics because antibiotics alter normal gut flora. You must follow a proper diet during the course of antibiotics and even after.
How does Amoxicillin cause yeast infections?
Although Amoxicillin can be very helpful in combating bacterial infections, it also kills good bacteria that keep numbers of other undesirable micro-organisms in check.
Candida albicans is a fungus that is naturally present on the skin and on mucous membranes: the mouth, throat, and vagina. When Amoxicillin is taken, especially for a prolonged period of time, it kills good bacteria that keep Candida from spreading. A yeast infection results when Candida albicans proliferates in the vagina because there are not enough good bacteria to limit its presence.
This video by Eric Bakker explains it in much better detail.
What can you do to prevent a yeast infection while taking Amoxicillin?
There are some simple steps you can take to prevent a yeast infection while taking Amoxicillin:
- Avoid using vaginal soaps and douches (unless otherwise you are following Eric’s douching protocol), which can dry out the vaginal area and upset the balance of vaginal microflora even further, thereby increasing your susceptibility to getting a yeast infection. Use only mild and unscented soap around the genital area. Thinking about bath? Double-check our yeast infection bath article before you plan a bath.
- Keep the genital area clean and dry — fungus likes moist conditions.
- Avoid wearing tight underwear or pants. Wear clean cotton underwear.
- Eat an alkaline diet consisting mainly of fruits and vegetables. Candida thrives in an acidic environment, so a diet based on fruits and vegetables will make your body more alkaline and discourage candida overgrowth.
- Take an oral probiotic supplement. Antibiotics kill both harmful and beneficial bacteria, so taking a probiotic helps to restore the beneficial bacteria your body needs. Just make sure you take the probiotic capsule a couple of hours after you take each dose of Amoxicillin so that they don’t interfere with each other and negate each other’s effects.
What natural treatment can you take after the round of antibiotic?
Do you have a yeast infection after taking a course of Amoxicillin? If you don’t want to take antifungal medications, here are some things you can do to treat your yeast infection naturally and also prevent its recurrence.
- A systematic review published in the Journal of Women’s Health in 2011 showed that boric acid vaginal suppositories are a very effective treatment for yeast infections, especially recurrent and chronic ones. Candida glabrata is another species of Candida that causes yeast infections but that does not respond nearly as well to antifungal drugs (azoles) as Candida albicans does. You can make your own suppositories. Just make sure you don’t take them orally!
- Take probiotics! Probiotics help restore the good bacteria in the body that were destroyed by Amoxicillin, mainly in the colon but also in the vagina and other mucus membranes. Probiotics can be taken orally and/or intravaginally. CanXida Restore is one of the best probiotic formulas available for restoring normal vaginal flora.
- Herbs are very effective at restoring the body’s healthy terrain. CanXida Remove is a powerful herbal formulation that restores a healthy terrain in the body where good bacteria can thrive to prevent disease.
While there are times when you have no other option other than antibiotics. When you can make sure to consult with your doctor or get second opinion from another doctor before you go on course of antibiotics. Antibiotic resistance is on the rise and prevention is the best measure.
If you are suffering from male yeast infections read our article on prevention for further information.
Please share your comments and thoughts on how antibiotics have changed your life?