Yeast Infection Signs and Symptoms – The Common And Not So Common
Update: If after reading this comprehensive post you believe you have yeast infections make sure to check out my diet page and incorporate canxida remove supplement in your diet to get rid of candida faster from your body.
It has been stated by many health-care professionals that virtually everyone exhibits minor symptoms of candidiasis, while about one third of the population (at least in the West) is severely affected, and in experience over many years I support this remarkable assertion. In many cases, a definite diagnosis is very difficult, if not impossible. Doctors do not like this, because according to Western medicine in order to effectively treat something you first have to diagnose it. Well, I can tell you; right now in most cases you can diagnose Candida yourself (take my candida quiz here). You can also look at the five simple home tests for Candida and try some of these yourself. Sometimes only a series of vague symptoms shows the patient that everything is not all that well, and at times no end of medical tests, examinations or pathology (lab) tests will confirm a definite “disease”.
Sometimes an inexperienced practitioner will overlook many of the the vague symptoms described below and treat the patient for something other than Candida. I know this all too well, after having helped countless patients with Candida for years who had visited other practitioners of natural and Western medicine and were diagnosed with indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, parasites, constipation, gallstones, inflammatory bowel disease, anxiety, depression, insomnia, and a whole host of other complaints. Some of these patients were truly desperate to get help and had become disillusioned about treatment and wondered if they would ever get well. Some of these patients have proven to be quite difficult cases to deal with, and is it any wonder?
It’s imperative to know the severity of your symptoms, before you start any treatment or consider that you have yeast infection. That is why I ask all my candida patients to take my yeast infection quiz to find out their score and only then move forward with any treatment. You can take the yeast infection quiz here.
- Everything You Need To Know About Candida Auris
- Difference Between Conventional Medicine and Natural Solution for Candida Yeast Infections
- Is Your Discharge Normal?
- Perseverance is Key: 12 Tips for Sticking with Your Candida Program – Part 2
- All You Need To Know About Giardia Lamblia
- Do You Have Blastocystis Hominis Or Dientamoeba Fragilis?
Spot the Candida Patient
I have in most cases found that when a patient comes into my clinic with a very restricted diet and multiple digestive complaints, complaining of many food allergies and sensitivities that there is a big chance they will have a major candida problem. Many such patients will often have a bag full of supplements including various products such as probiotics, digestive enzymes, parasite cleansers, immune boosters, bowel products such as psyllium, glutamine and more. Is this you? Then you are in the right place at the right time. Perhaps you are a practitioner who is reading this? Then please suspect Candida in your patient and try some of the tests and get a feel for the signs and symptoms below.
The Most Common Signs and Symptoms of a Yeast Infection
Candida overgrowth can potentially cause so many symptoms, there are several however that we see recurrently in the clinic. Here is a list of the most common signs and symptoms I have seen in my naturopathic practice spanning twenty years. You may well recognise some right away, others you may need to think about. Check your toenails, do you have any itchy parts of your body? Does you digestion frequently cause you trouble? These are all tell tale signs. Here are the most common signs and symptoms:
- Fatigue, bloating, flatulence (gas),
- Food allergies, carbohydrate craving,
- Vaginitis (thrush)
- Impaired memory, poor concentration, a “foggy” brain with feelings of unreality, and general weakness
- Tiredness or malaise.
- Toenail fungus
- Cystitis/urethritis (urinary tract infection – painful, burning or “stinging” sensations when trying to urinate),
- Menstrual irregularities,
- Loss of libido,
- Stiff, creaking and painful joints,
- Muscle pain,
- Inhalant allergies, multiple chemical sensitivities,
- Mucus or catarrh, hay fever, sinusitis, persistent cough,
- Heart arrhythmias,
- Discoloured nails, acne and other skin eruptions ( nail and skin issues are classic tell-tale symptoms of candida),
- Earaches, headaches, and dizziness.
If by now you are certain that you have candida yeast infection symptoms, then I highly recommend you take my candida quiz to find how severe your yeast infection is before you continue reading or start some treatment. Click here to take the candida yeast infection online quiz.
Candida May Contribute To Different Diseases
Candida may also contribute significantly to the causation of a number of medical conditions as diverse as premenstrual tension, irritable bowel syndrome, asthma, eczema, psoriasis, urticaria (itchy skin/hives), epilepsy, schizophrenia, multiple sclerosis, adrenal fatigue, hypothyroidism, hypoglycemia (low-blood sugar levels), ileocaecal valve dysfunction (pain in the gut), and childhood hyperactivity. The role and specificity of Candida in some of these conditions is discussed below under the headings male, women and children. Now let’s look at these symptoms in more detail.
Candida Albicans – Common and Not So Common Signs and Symptoms
The symptoms listed occur with digestive and systemic candidiasis, they are not all found at the same time in a person and many have been experienced by Candida patients to some degree.
In medicine, symptoms and illnesses are grouped together according to the organ or system affected. This suits Western medicine, because then the patient can be sent to the appropriate specialist to solve the presenting problem associated with his or her specialty. This is not how we work as professional natural therapists however. The Candida toxins can affect just about all cells of all organs and systems of a person’s body thereby causing any or all the symptoms listed below. I have grouped them together simply for your convenience:
A yeast infection, especially when chronic, is enough to drive anybody crazy (again I recommend you take my quiz to find how chronic your yeast infection is). I personally suffered for years with anxiety and depression as a result of my own personal battle with candida albicans. My doctor thought I was nuts and it drove me crazy that nobody would take me seriously when I spoke of having a foggy head, poor concentration and having a feeling that my head was tingling. Can you relate to any bizarre or strange symptoms that nobody can seem to get a handle on? Maybe you should read this page carefully and see what other signs and symptoms you have because there is a big chance that you may be suffering with a yeast infection like I was for years.
- Alterations or disturbances of smell, taste, sight or hearing
- Blurry vision, spots before the eyes
- Eyes: erratic vision, spots in front of eyes (eye floaters) and flashing lights off to the side of vision, redness, dryness, itching, excessive tearing, inability to tear, etc. Many and varied eye/visual symptoms can be present.
- Feeling of swelling and tingling in the head, brain fog.
- Loss of self-confidence or self esteem
- Irritability, can have a very short fuse, impatient.
- Nervousness, agitation and panic attacks.
- Poor concentration
- Headaches – dull, background headaches
- Earaches, itchy ears
- Mood swings
- Dizziness, light-headed
- Drowsiness, especially when inappropriate
- Numbness, tingling or weakness. This can be the tongue, hands or feet.
- Poor memory – especially short term
- Hyperactivity – especially with children
- Agitated, feelings of mania
- Crying or emotional spells
- Depression – especially the week before a period in women
- Feeling of “cotton wool” in the head
- Feelings of “unreal” or spacey
- Feeling of being drunk or inebriated
Got any of these symptoms? While we all experience the symptoms listed every now and then, the severity is totally different if you are suffering from yeast infection. If you take my test you will find out your severity of yeast infection.
Gastrointestinal Yeast Infection Symptoms
Yeast infections cause an incredible about of digestive complaints, in fact over half of all patients I see in my clinic presenting with digestive problems have a yeast infection. One of the “best kept secrets” of being successful in my clinic is to help patients overcome their digestive problems – by tackling their yeast infection. Do you have an unresolved digestive complaint? You may well have a yeast infection and if you read through the bullet points below you may recognize several of these complaints:
- Bloating or abdominal distention, needs to loosen the waistband regularly
- Flatus, lots of gas
- Indigestion, easy after meals. Foods upset easily
- Heartburn, some foods can be real triggers. You may know them well.
- Abdominal pain. You may have one particular spot that raises concern.
- Persistent diarrhoea or constipation or alternating bouts of each.
- Mucus in stools.
- Hemorrhoids with rectal itching.
- Peri-anal itching, around or in the anus.
- Burning tongue, tongue symptoms are common with many.
- Appetite can be affected, a person may feel a low grade nausea.
- Cravings or addictions for sugar, bread, pasta and other high carb foods, and also particularly alcohol in the forms of wine and beer or fruits.
- Mouth sores or blisters, canker sores, dryness, bad breath, a white or yellow coating on the tongue in the middle or back (thrush)
- Blocked salivary glands and even recurring stones in the sub-mandibular or parotid glands I have seen associated with a few chronic Candida cases.
- Stomach complaints: helicobacter pylori bacteria (causes 90%+ of stomach ulcers), heartburn, indigestion, hiatus hernia, acid reflux, belching, vomiting, burning, stomach pains, needle-like or sharp, “darting” pains, food that seems to sit in the stomach like a lump. Any fullness after meals which is not related to hypochlorhydria (an under active tummy)
- Patient is suffering from recurring bacteria gut infections, i.e. salmonella, E. coli, h. pylori, etc
Genito – Urinary Yeast Infection Symptoms
Did you know that a yeast infection can affect your urinary system? It is important to remember that yeast like to multiply and thrive in areas that are dark, warm and moist. And your digestive and urinary systems are perfect places for yeasts to hang out. Do you suffer from recurring urinary tract infections, prostate issues or have a child or adolescent with a bed wetting problem, and have you ever considered yeast to be a causative factor?
- Kidney & bladder: infections (especially recurring), cystitis (inflammation of the bladder with possible infection), urinary frequency or urgency, low urine output, smelly or consistently strange coloured urine, difficulty urinating, burning pain when urinating.
- Male-associated urinary/sexual problems: jock itch, loss of sex drive, impotence, prostatitis, penis infections, difficulty urinating, urinary frequency or urgency, painful intercourse, swollen scrotum, etc. Is the male a beer drinker? Suspect candida if he is an drinks beers regularly and complains of prostatitis, itchy skin, burping, bloating, and other symptoms listed here.
- Female-associated urinary/sexual problems: infertility, vaginitis, vaginal thrush or irritations, unusual odours, napkin staining, endometriosis (irregular or painful menstruation), cramps, menstrual bleeding or irregularities, pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS – especially cravings for sweet, hydration and depression two to three days before period), discharge, painful intercourse, loss of sexual drive, redness or swelling of the vulva and surrounding area, vaginal itching, burning or redness, or any persistent infections.
- Fluid retention, puffiness around the body.
- Cystitis – burning on urination is a very common symptom, especially if recurring in male, female or child.
Skin and Nail Yeast Infection Symptoms
I have seen many and varied skin rashes, itches and “funny” patches clear up on people’s body after a successful application of my Candida Crusher program. Many of these patients were diagnosed with skin conditions with strange and weird names by a dermatologist and were prescribed a cream (steroid cream usually) to “cure” the complaint. Isn’t it obvious that you won’t cure a skin complaint without treating the cause? Here are some of the more common manifestations of skin and nail related symptoms:
- Jock itch, groin infection in men.
- Oral candidiasis, oral thrush.
- Dryness, red or white skin patches.
- Chronic or recurring mouth ulcers
- Intertrigo – skin fold problems (under breasts for example)
- and related skin irritations
- Athletes foot, or Tinea (red, itchy feet and toes)
- Nail problems – discoloration / brittle, thickening nails.
- Itchy scalp and dandruff
- Red, scaly eyelids
- Contact dermatitis (I treat ALL dermatitis cases for Candida first)
- Acne rosacea and vulgaris. (many acne cases respond well to dysbiosis control)
- Babies: colic, diaper rash, thrush (coated white tongue), and cradle cap.
- ANY fungal infections of the skin or nails, i.e. ringworm, seborrheic dermatitis, dark and light patches on the skin (tinea versicolor), etc. Nails may appear patchy, crusty or discoloured.
- Odours: of the feet, hair or body that are not relieved by washing or deodorants. Several patients over the years have come back 12 – 18 months after my candida treatment program and commented on how they “don’t smell that bad anymore” from the armpits and body in general. Do you have a strange odour you can’t seem to wash away? Then suspect a Candida overgrowth.
Musculo-Skeletal Yeast Infection Symptoms
A little known fact is that yeast infections can cause symptoms of the muscles and joints. I’ve seen many patients over the years with “unexplained” aches and pains which disappeared once their yeast infection was cured. You will often find that many of these complaints below occur in conjunction with digestive complaints described above. Can you relate to a problem affecting your muscles or joints that no doctor or specialist can come close to diagnosing of helping you with? Have you considered a yeast infection?
- Muscle aches and pains (especially if unresponsive to other treatments
- Heart problems – rapid pulse, pounding or irregular heart or palpitations
- Joint pain, stiffness and swellings – both the small and large joints.
- Creaking of joints.
- Numbness, burning or tingling sensations in muscles.
- Lack of strength and co-ordination.
- Bruising easily
- Cheekbone or forehead tenderness or pains
- Cold hands or feet, low body temperature.
Nose, Ear, Throat and Respiratory Candida Yeast Infection Symptoms
Do you have itchy ears or a dry scratchy throat? What about a persistent cough, coughing up small amounts of mucus in teh mornings yet do not smoke? You probably have a yeast infection. Go right now to the 5 Home Tests page and see how many of these you can relate to. Of course, the Candida Crusher book is much more comprehensive and by reading my book you will not only know with certainty if you have a yeast infection or not – you will learn how to cure it.
- Persistent nasal congestion or stuffiness a key symptom
- Sinus inflammation, swelling and excessive mucus or infection
- Flu-like symptoms, coughs (low-grade the will not go away, can be worse in warm, cold or stuffy environments) and recurring colds
- Excessive mucus in the throat, nose and ear canals (ears “popping”), sinuses, bronchial tubes or lungs. This can be particularly worse after meals or on rising.
- Joint pain and swellings – both the small and large joints.
- Bruising easily.
- Cheekbone or forehead tenderness or pains
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus), funny “fluttering” sounds in the ears, ear infections, swimmer’s ear, dryness, itchiness, ear pain, ear aches, ear discharges, fluid in ears, deafness, abnormal and/or a continual wax build-up. I have found many ear and hearing problems associated with candida infection.
- Sore throat, hoarse voice, constant tickle in the throat, laryngitis (loss of voice)
- Geotrichum and Yeast Infection: Are They Connected?
- 10 Psychological Effects of Having Candida Yeast Overgrowth
- Vaginal Yeast Infection Cleansing
- Feeling Fatigue, Low Immune System And Mood Instability
- Multiple Yeast Infections Have Tried Everything
- All You Need To Know About Cryptosporidium
Other Yeast Infection Signs and Symptoms
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), and diabetes. I always treat the diabetic for candida at some stage.
- Hypothyroidism, Wilson’s Thyroid Syndrome, Hashimoto’s disease, hyperthyroidism, erratic thyroid function, etc. The thyroid is very sensitive to the toxic by-products of systemic candida.
- Cysts and polyps, abnormal formation of, in different parts of the body, especially around the ears, neck, throat, and ovaries, and in the bladder, groin or scrotal region.
- Glands: swollen lymph nodes.
- Sleep: insomnia, waking up frequently, nightmares, restless sleep, etc.
- Sick all over feeling.
- Can feel like nobody understands you and why you feel so terrible in spite of all the doctor’s tests coming back as “normal”.
- Fatigue (chronic fatigue syndrome or Epstein Barr) or a feeling of being drained of energy, lethargy, drowsiness.
Click here to order canxida remove supplement if you have most of the signs and symptoms of yeast infection.
Angel Rivera says
What would you recommend major inflamation.
Hi, I’m rather stoked that I’ve stumbled upon your website and are very keen to get started. I want to order the Canxida Remove but can’t because it’s not available and I can’t find anywhere when it will be. I thought I’d order the Canxida Restore with the $5.00 off coupon but it does not work with the Restore, I wanted to order the book at the same time but can’t because it’s not available on the same page??
I really need Canxida but i dont know how can get it…
I found a link to their website somewhere on this one or on Dr. Bakker’s website one, and there may be secondary resellers if you google canxida.
I suffer from most of these symptoms & it’s like I’m going crazy. No one seems to have an idea what is wrong with me. But I took the quiz and it states that it’s chronic. Please help.
Loreal Slofkosky says
I have been living in my own personal hell for the last few years without any doctor ever finding out what’s wrong.
Then I discovered Candida and although no doctor has ever diagnosed me I have a lot of the symptoms, plus I took your quiz, here’s an overview:
-Multiple yeast and urinary tract infections (too many to count and all treated with antibiotics)
-Tightness, numbness and heaviness in legs; I’ve had an MRI and the doctors ruled out MS, lupus, etc..
-I’m a lacto ova vegetarian; I’ve never eaten chicken, fish or meat
-Life is stressful, but getting better. Yoga is my de-stresser
-I have tried the elimination method..Gluten, Sugar, Dairy, Lectin, but it really limits what I can eat being a vegetarian
I would love some one on one help, so let me know if you think you could help and your fees.
Please check our youtube channel to find all the answers you need.
I completely relate to you, I am also vegetarian with no meat fish chicken etc and have same symptoms. I’m currently with a dr who is going to do an abdominal ct scan and a bunch of other tests to look around inside. Do you struggle with being overweight?
Me too. Life long veg. without meat, and results say/chronic. Many of the signs. And yes, i struggle horribly with weight.
So what is the best lab test for yeast/candida infection.
Comprehensive stool analysis, you can check this video we have done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Sz7wz7-MA
oluchi maureen says
i have had yeast infection 2 yrs ago with severe joint pain and digestive problems which later stopped but now am pregnant and in about 29weeks started having vaginal itching with discharge including with discharge and watery discharge. but after sometime it went into joint pains hand numbness chest pains includimg in the middle of my both breast that is painful when i press on it.my fouth finger of my finger at times.i have ear and eye aches also.i have muscle pull also. i have digestive problems which includes stomach aches, gas,bloating aconstipation and diarrhea.this symptoms comes and goes.and most 6ime when am having those pains my.digestive system seems fine but once the pain subsides the digestive system starts immediatel that most times once i eat anything i end up at the toilet.i have told my my told who gav me medication .the itching stopped but the discharge and pains are driving me nuts.are these also candida or is their sometjing else wrong wt me.help pls
I had to reread one of the symptoms listed in,
“not so common signs and symptoms” flashing lights
off to the side of vision. As a teenager I experienced
this symptom and maybe a couple dozen times since
then. This is the first I have heard about this through
another source. I put it down to lack of oxygen. It
only lasts for a couple of minutes and is harmless.
Can you please explain what this is ?
I am a ND in Pennsylvania. USA. These are the type of directions I have given to people for the past 30 years. Your book is much better organized. What would be the cost of a case of books to sell in my office. I would like to use the shipping list in my practice, is that in the booK?
Thomas please let me know what is the best email to reach you.
omg.. most of the cases i experience.. but the worst par of kine is insomia. sinusitis.. endless mucus sneezing.. throat soar.. and vagina bump.
What is a vagina bump? Lymph nose swelling? What is it?
Hi,I was poisoned by a fluoroquinolone 20 monthns ago….the symptoms are quite similar but I don’t know to differenciate what is candida related and FQ related…I am sure I had a yeast infection before the FQ but this worsened the whole thing! I currently take the Canxida range after Lufenuron and hope there will be a end to this nightmare!
Peufaillit Candida is a part of FQ Tox but not all of it, people’s reactions and what happens in the body can be quite individual and complex. Also Candida just treated conventionally is NOT going to work for most when they have taken a fluoroquinolone as there is more going on which affects this. Check out the comments under the article “I’m floxed now what”.
I’ve had a lot of these symptoms (also with fibrous breast tissue changes) after going on 2 rounds of antibiotics (infected wisdom tooth and after getting them removed). I went to the doctor 3 times with no answer until the last visit they said I had a vaginal bacterial infection. Took the antibiotics and they of course made symptoms worse. I’ve been on the candida diet for almost a month (accidentally ate some things I shouldn’t have though), I’m slowly getting better but I have aches in my large intestine still (feels like lumps toward my hips on both sides, not sure if those are swollen lymph nodes or something else but I still look/feel swollen there and am having pinching sensations).